Thursday, May 14, 2015

Spreading Compost

When we last saw our compost pile, it looked like this:

Before.

My parents, concerned that the rain would make the compost too difficult to push around if we left it, spent a few hours shoveling compost the same day we had it delivered.  My dad and I finished the job today.

During.

After.

I checked on the straw bales today, too.  Their temperatures are still sitting right around 80 degrees F.  This isn't nearly hot enough for the rapid composting I want.  My mom and I decided to try a different fertilizer.  I suspect that the organic mix I was using is not high enough in nitrogen.

The bales, just hanging out.

I am starting to get a little anxious that I am getting too late a start on this garden.  I really hope to see at least some produce for all this effort.  The good news is that the really tough work is nearly done, then the fun stuff of actually tending a garden will start!

No comments:

Post a Comment